30 Best Keto Snacks and How to Make Them
The word “diet” might make you think of strict rules and bland foods, especially with something like the low-carb keto diet. But that’s far from the truth, especially when it comes to yummy keto snacks! Keto-friendly snacks aren’t just nutritional champions, keeping you full and your taste buds happy, they also help your body stay in that fat-burning zone called ketosis.
The variety is endless, with ready-to-eat options for those on-the-go moments, and homemade goodies for when you have a little more time to spare. So, are ready to explore the best keto snacks? Let’s look at why snacks are important for a keto lifestyle, what makes a great keto snack, and even how to create your own at home.
Top 30 best keto snacks to try
Whether you’re looking for something savory, sweet, or a combination of both, we’ve got you covered. Below is a list of 30 keto-friendly snacks that are simple to prepare, and they are just as tasty as they are nutritious.
1. Keto Cheese Crisps
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lay cheese slices on a baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crispy.
- Allow to cool before serving.
2. Avocado Boats
- Halve an avocado, remove the pit, and scoop a little flesh out.
- Fill with a mix of chopped tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice.
3. Zucchini Chips
- Slice zucchini thin, toss with olive oil and sea salt.
- Bake at 225°F for 2 hours or until crispy.
4. Keto Trail Mix
- Mix together almonds, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, unsweetened coconut, and dark chocolate chips.
5. Spicy Roasted Almonds
- Toss almonds in olive oil, cayenne, and sea salt.
- Roast at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Simply enjoy a handful of olives for a good dose of healthy fats.
7. Cucumber Sandwiches
- Slice cucumber and sandwich cream cheese, smoked salmon, and fresh dill between two slices.
8. Coconut Cream with Berries
- Mix full-fat coconut cream with vanilla extract and stevia.
- Top with a handful of berries.
9. Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Boil eggs for 9-12 minutes, let cool, then peel.
10 Celery with Almond Butter
- Just spread almond butter on celery sticks.
11. Chia Pudding
- Mix chia seeds with almond milk and a bit of sweetener, and let it sit overnight in the fridge.
12. Egg Muffins
- Beat eggs with spinach and cheese.
- Pour into muffin tins.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.
13. Keto Smoothie
- Blend together spinach, almond milk, protein powder, and a small amount of berries.
14. Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
- Wrap asparagus with bacon.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
15. Cauliflower Hummus
- Blend roasted cauliflower with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic.
16. Turkey Roll-Ups
- Roll up cheese and a little mayo in a slice of turkey.
17. Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps
- Mix canned tuna with mayo, and wrap in lettuce leaves.
18. Peanut Butter Fat Bombs
- Mix peanut butter with coconut oil and a bit of sweetener, and freeze into small portions.
19. Protein Shake
- Blend protein powder with unsweetened almond milk.
20. Keto Yogurt Parfait
- Layer Greek yogurt with chia seeds and a small amount of berries.
21. Beef Jerky
- Check the label for no added sugar or make your own.
22. Baked Kale Chips
- Toss kale leaves in olive oil and sea salt, and bake at 300°F for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
23. Stuffed Mushrooms
- Remove mushroom stems, stuff with cream cheese and herbs, and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
24. Ham and Pickle Rolls
- Spread cream cheese on a ham slice, place a pickle in the center, and roll up.
25. Salmon and Cream Cheese Rolls
- Spread cream cheese on a slice of smoked salmon, and roll up.
26. Cheese Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers
- Halve bell peppers, remove seeds, stuff with cheese, and bake at 400°F for 15 minutes.
27. Pork Rinds
- Enjoy as is or with a side of guacamole.
28. Keto Cheese and Veggie Platter
- Arrange a selection of cheese, cucumber slices, celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes on a plate.
29. Flaxseed Crackers
- Mix ground flaxseeds with water.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes until crispy.
30. Coconut Chips
- Toss coconut flakes in coconut oil and sea salt.
- Bake at 325°F for 5-10 minutes until golden.
What makes these snacks beneficial to your health?
The keto snacks we shared are beneficial to your health for a variety of reasons, including:
- High in healthy fats: These keto snacks feature foods like cheese, avocados, and olives, which are high in healthy fats. These fats are essential for maintaining ketosis, the metabolic state where your body uses fat for energy instead of carbs.
- Low in carbs: One of the most important aspects of a keto snack is that it should be low in carbs. This aligns with the principle of the keto diet, which involves minimizing carb intake.
- High in protein: Keto snacks often include sources of protein, which can help to keep you full and satisfied. Foods high in protein include nuts, cheese, and certain types of seafood like shrimp. Nuts contain protein, fat, fiber, and plant compounds that provide a range of health advantages. In fact, studies suggest that consuming more nuts is linked to a lower risk of heart disease and death from cancer.
- Nutrient-rich: Many keto snacks are also rich in other nutrients. For example, salmon is a good source of omega-3 fats and vitamin D, while collard greens are rich in folate, calcium, and vitamins K, C, and A.
- Free from added sugars: When shopping for keto snacks, it’s important to check labels for added sugars, particularly if you’re not making your own snacks. Even foods that are generally considered healthy can sometimes contain added sugars, which would increase the carb content and could disrupt ketosis.
- Satiety: Finally, the best keto snacks should keep you feeling full until your next meal. This can help to prevent overeating and make it easier to stick to the keto diet.
What should you add to your keto shopping list?
Preparing a keto shopping list involves choosing healthy fats and proteins, selecting low-carb vegetables, being mindful of carbohydrates, checking labels for hidden carbs, planning for snacks and meal prep, prioritizing hydration, and organizing the list efficiently.
- Include healthy fats. Since fats play a crucial role in the keto diet, ensure that your shopping list includes a variety of healthy fats. Examples include avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts and seeds, full-fat dairy products, fatty fish, and grass-fed meats.
- Choose low-carb vegetables. Incorporate non-starchy vegetables that are low in carbohydrates into your shopping list. This includes leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, and spinach. These vegetables are rich in fiber and essential nutrients while being low in net carbs.
- Select quality proteins. Opt for high-quality protein sources, such as lean meats (chicken, turkey, beef), fatty fish (salmon, mackerel), eggs, and tofu. Also, be mindful of carbohydrates. While carbohydrates should be limited on the keto diet, there are still some options available. Include low-carb fruits like berries and moderate amounts of low-carb, non-starchy vegetables.
Check out our comprehensive keto shopping list for more.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
How important are snacks in a keto diet?
Snacks play a critical role in a keto diet. They help curb hunger between meals, preventing overeating and carb cravings. Plus, they aid in maintaining ketosis by providing a steady supply of energy, courtesy of their high-fat and low-carb content.
Are all store-bought snacks suitable for a keto diet?
Not all store-bought snacks are keto-friendly. It’s essential to read labels carefully and look for snacks low in carbohydrates and sugars and high in healthy fats and proteins. Keep in mind, even within the realm of keto snacks, quality varies greatly, so it’s essential to select snacks that are as minimally processed as possible.
Choosing the right snacks can make or break your keto diet journey. Are you ready to embrace the vast and flavorful world of the best keto snacks, equipped with the knowledge to make the most nutritious choices? Remember, your snack selections should be as enjoyable as they are healthy. It’s all about balance and ensuring that the snacks you consume help maintain your body in a state of ketosis, fueling you efficiently throughout the day.
We hope you found this guide valuable and insightful. If it helped demystify the best keto snacks for you, why not spread the knowledge and share it with a friend? For more in-depth guidance on living the keto lifestyle to its fullest, don’t hesitate to explore the wealth of information on our blog. Your path to becoming a keto connoisseur starts here!